Indoor Tennis Centre, Kuwait University, Al-Shadadiya, Kuwait
Location: Al-Shadadiya, Kuwait
- 25 m high tennis hall has three floors and can accommodate around 2,000 spectators
- Extraordinary architectural project combines tradition and modernity
- Firm of architects: Skidmore, Owings and Merrill office (SOM) and Gulf Consultants
- Dome-shaped walls and roof in the style of traditional Islamic architecture
- Thin reinforced concrete slab with triangular recesses at different heights of up to 11 m and each with up to 120 circular openings – each with a diameter of 20 cm respectively – forming a fine net through which natural sunlight enters the interior of the tennis centre through subsequently integrated glass blocks.
- Taking into consideration logistical challenges such as tight space conditions, limited availability of crane times as well as timing difficulties regarding management of other work activities
- Strict adherence to the construction schedule as well as cost plan
Societe d'Entreprise & de Gestion Qatar (SEG Qatar)
Robert Bou Chedid
The combination of different PERI formwork and shoring systems and the support provided during the planning of the 3D model were essential in realising the complex dome shape.
- Planning and delivery of a project-specific solution for ensuring efficient execution of the architecturally challenging dome-shaped building
- Design of 3D building models and 3D plans for construction of the complex, curved reinforced concrete walls with differently-sized box-outs and varying wall thicknesses between 20 cm and 30 cm
- Delivery of formwork and scaffolding from one source: optimal adaptation of the PERI UP Flex Shoring Tower as a load-bearing construction to suit the different geometries and loads of the free-form formwork due to the continuous system grid of 25 cm and 50 cm as well as the combination possibilities with SRU Steel Walers taken from the VARIOKIT Engineering Construction Kit
- Individual project support provided by a PERI project manager and constant on-site supervision